PARISH COUNCIL VACANCIES
Would you like to make a contribution and influence decisions that affect your community?
Nether Compton is in need of two new Parish Councillors. It is hoped to fill the positions by co-option at the next meeting on January 10th 2022.
No special skills or knowledge are required and training is available.
To find out more, speak to one of the councillors or contact the Parish Clerk. If you would like to apply, please notify the clerk by January 6th.
Message from Dorset Council
As you may already be aware, the effects of the widely-reported national HGV driver shortage - coupled with the continuing impact of the pandemic - are starting to disrupt some of our waste services.
We are working hard to ensure that key waste services continue to run throughout this challenging time, but we are having to temporarily suspend or delay some garden waste collections so that crews can be redeployed to support vital rubbish, food and recycling collections. Litter bins are also being emptied less frequently in some areas of the county, and new bin deliveries are also being delayed.
- Always report your missed collection directly to Dorset Council, even if your whole street is affected. Our website has an automated system that will inform you what’s happening with your bins and provide guidance on what to do next (Weblink - Missed bin collection - Dorset Council)
- Please ensure your bins are out by 6am on your collection day. Some rounds are being carried out differently, meaning that we might turn up earlier or later in the day than usual
- If you find a litter bin is full, do not try to leave your litter on top/next to it or on the floor nearby – please take it home and place in your household bin. We also encourage people to report over-filled bins on the Dorset Council website (Weblink - Report a public litter bin problem - Dorset Council sel - Welcomef-service portal (achieveservice.com))
- If any garden waste collections have to be cancelled/stood down we will contact customers directly to advise them. As compensation for any garden waste collections that were not received, we will automatically apply a discount to next year’s subscription fee.
- Rubbish, recycling, garden and food waste can be dropped off free of charge at any of Dorset’s household recycling centres, which are operating as normal.
New Exercise Equipment at Nether Compton Recreation Ground
Everyone in Queen Thorne is warmly invited to use the newly installed, free exercise equipment on Nether Compton Recreation Ground. With the football pitch, tennis equipment and children's play area, Nether Compton now offers facilities for all ages to keep fit and have fun outside. You can even make a cup of tea in the hut.
Restored Fingerposts throughout Queen Thorne
Over the past months Councillor Clive Yendole has been a man on a mission to restore the dilapidated fingerposts of Trent, Sandford Orcas, Nether and Over Compton to their former glory. Fingerposts are a characteristic feature of the Dorset countryside, but unfortunately the County Council no longer has a remit to repair them, which is why so many are in such a sorry state. The Parish Council is very grateful to Cllr Yendole for volunteering to carry out the renovations across Queen Thorne, meaning that the Parish Council has only had to pay for materials.